My hair is a little wind blown after an outdoor lunch. Fish tacos. It was good :)
I’ve seen vintage and current RTW dresses with a small back opening between the skirt and bodice, so I attempted to recreate the look by altering the Hazel pattern.
I omitted the zipper and replaced it with a button back for the bodice. The skirt had enough width to be pulled on without an opening, so I used elastic to gather it and hold it in place. I bought the green belt before the pattern inspiration struck but was determined to use it because the outfit needs more color. So I made some button holes along the back of the skirt to string the belt through.
I am happy with the fit of the dress and didn’t make any adjustments other than changing the back opening. I did overlap the back pieces a little more than expected to achieve a snugger fit. I shortened the straps a couple times (over 1 1/2″ total) in order to keep them up and in place. Unfortunately the straps don’t cover my regular bra straps, so I went with a strapless bra, which is not my favorite. I may go back and attempt to adjust the strap placement again–I think I would wear this dress more if it was more accommodating to strappy bras.
The fabric is a very light cotton with green clip dots. It’s a little sheer, so I lined the bodice and underlined the skirt with an additional very light and sheer white cotton. The result is adequate coverage and a very lightweight breezy dress.
All in all, this pattern was a delight to put together and I’m happy with the end result, despite the straps. Although, I have to admit, it is a bit difficult to button up the back on my own. With some patience, I did manage it one handed by touch, but it was definitely not quick and easy to throw on. Maybe with practice I will be able to button it faster.
This was my first sew-along :) I’m excited to see everyone else’s Hazels!